Monday, June 10, 2013

Week Two Reflections...

As I entered week two of thinking about a this new action research, I realize I have already learned so much. After reading the many different examples in the book Leading with Passion and Knowledge, by Nancy Fichtman Dana, I am gaining more knowledge on what it means to explore deep inquiry. I noticed that action research is a way of reflecting on what intrigues you at this moment in your career, have it be in a leadership role or teaching. It is taking a stand for change in an area you deem important enough to take the time and research, gather data, and reflect often on.

For me, it's very hard to pick the one that is the most important out of the nine passions listed by Dana in the text. How do you choose one of these topics to be the most focused on when all seem so intricately important as the next? My action research sits between several different passions. I think it is healthy for the topic of inquiry to hit more than one to really make an impact on the the school environment.

Just as the chapter assigned this week ended in discussion of an action research evolving over time, I experienced this first hand just in week one of this course. The initial question I started with as my action research was scrapped by the end of week one, following a great discussion with my site supervisor. I guess their is good reason for us having an experienced mentor after all. ;) I originally picked a topic widely covered and researched. We discussed in great lengths what our school is in need of and what is currently out there that is unresolved in many schools. Here is the action research I settled on as of now (drum-roll, please):

What are the strategies and trainings needed for successful one to one implementation and pedagogy for student devices in the classroom?

There it is. My focus for the next nine months is to answer this question head on. I am excited about the data I will find as well as some new things to get started at my school to really utilize the technology we are provided, rather than let it "babysit" our students.

I want to end my posts with a little light hearted humor. Enjoy...

8 comments:

  1. Lisa,

    You are so right about this whole "taking a stand" thing! I wrote almost the exact same thing in my assignment this week. There are so many people that just go through life with others telling them what to do and how to do it. They never stop and ask, "What can I do?" I have this same discussion with my students. Be willing to stand up for what you believe in and work to make a difference. Make everything you do useful and important! I can't wait to read your future postings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right about this whole "taking a stand" thing! There are so many people that go through life allowing others to tell them what to do and how to do it. They never stop and ask, "What can I do?" I have this same discussion with my students. Don't be afraid to stand up for what you believe in, and don't be afraid to speak up for what you know is right. Kudos on your blog--it looks great, and I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once I received the copy of blog postings, I noticed that your title was quite intriguing. I know that you are doing your masters in technology and I thought it would be a good idea to follow someone who is doing an action research project directly related to that. While my degree is geared toward administration, I am very focused on technology and its implementation in schools. I am interested in this one-to-one technology issue and how it is being used. I feel as if this seems to be the only way schools can get more technology. I am curious as to whether or not the one-to-one program is really effective. Is there another way? Is there a way to get more students technology by having them purchase their own technology? What barriers stand in the way? If the school purchases all of this technology, what stands in the way of students destroying this technology? What about cost measures? How does a teacher deal with significant technological problems? Is there an IT department on campus? What about the need for more electrical outlets? I would be most interested in your project if you explore some of these questions and see if there are other ways to implement technology on campus. Thank you for your project and I look forward to following more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa,
    I agree with you on finding the right topic for the research project and having a mentor to help us out. I had a topic previously picked out but after meeting with him and having a lengthy discussion we came to a consensus on something along the same lines but totally different. I agree with your "babysit" comment. Sometimes teachers don't really put the technology to use they just request it so they can sit and the kids can play. I am intrigued to find out what you discover.

    Good luck,
    Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your action research project is one that I will follow closely. I am curious to see what strategies show high student success, and what trainings most help the teachers. I could see those questions in the future at my campus. Happy researching ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good you realized you should change your research project in week one, and not later on. I'm not 100% sure about mine, but am going with it. I did learn from the readings and videos that I shouldn't reinvent the wheel and do research on other research that has been done on my topic. This ensures duplication or wasting time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this phrase you used: utilize the technology we are provided, rather than let it "babysit" our students. If all teachers were as passionate about their profession as everyone we've had the opportunity to network with during this program our school systems would be amazing! Keep up the good work; I really enjoy reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete